Prior to the Civil War, through the Great Depression, and beyond the economic and political turbulence of the 20th Century, Comerica Bank has stood as a beacon of strength, guarding the financial community of Detroit and Michigan. This beacon also shines today in California, Texas, Arizona, Florida and many other markets where Comerica has a presence.
In August 2007, Comerica announced the location of its new corporate headquarters at 1717 Main Street in downtown Dallas. Designed by Philip Johnson and John Burgee, architects, the building at 1717 Main is a dynamic part of the Dallas skyline. At 787 feet tall, it is the third largest skyscraper in Dallas and the sixth tallest building in Texas. The building was renamed Comerica Bank Tower. Comerica leased the first five floors of the distinctive granite and glass building, which has a Comerica banking center on the first floor. The Class AA building serves as a hub for the underground pedestrian walkway system that connects retail shops, restaurants and other area buildings.
In 2011, Comerica acquired Houston, Texas-based Sterling Bancshares, Inc., strengthening its franchise in the Lone Star State. The acquisition virtually tripled Comerica's market share in Houston, provided it entry into the attractive San Antonio and Kerrville regions, and complemented its banking center network in Dallas/Fort Worth, while adding about $5 billion in assets, $2 billion in loans and $4 billion in deposits on the closing date of July 28, 2011. Later in 2011, Comerica successfully completed systems conversions so that former Sterling customers can bank at any Comerica banking center and have full access to Comerica's full line of products and services.